You have until 11.59pm on 31st January 2024 to submit your online self assessment tax return for the 2022/23 tax year, which ended on 5th April 2022, to HMRC. This is also the deadline to pay any tax due. If you miss the deadline you will be fined £100. This applies even if you don’t owe any tax or are due a refund!
You’ll need to submit a tax return if, in the last tax year:
- you were self-employed
- you got £2,500 or more in untaxed income, eg from renting out a property or savings and investments
- your savings or investment income was £10,000 or more before tax
- you made profits from selling things like shares, a second home or other chargeable assets and need to pay Capital Gains Tax
- you were a company director – unless it was for a non-profit organisation (eg a charity) and you didn’t get any pay or benefits, like a company car
- your income (or your partner’s) was over £50,000 and one of you claimed Child Benefit
- you had income from abroad that you needed to pay tax on
- you lived abroad and had a UK income
- you got dividends from shares and you’re a higher or additional rate taxpayer – but if you don’t need to send a return for any other reason, contact the helpline instead
- your income was over £100,000
- you were a trustee of a trust or registered pension scheme
Harmonea Ltd can submit your tax return for you but don’t leave it to the last minute!